This program includes Financial Assistance, Library/Book Bank facilities and Residential Bridge Camp. The mission is to provide financial assistance to meritorious students who cannot afford to continue their higher education owing to their financial difficulties. To-date Vidya Poshak has invested more than INR 300 million on this.
Key Highlights (April 2016 - Oct 2016)
· During the year nearly 4200 applications were received for financial assistance. After Home visits, we found 474 new students were eligible for financial assistance. Out of the 474 new students 338 were assisted under Nurture merit scheme and 136 students were supported under Matching grant program.
· During the year all together 1500 Meritorious and financial challenged students were financially assisted with a sum of INR 75 Lakh to pursue their higher education (Till date).
· 60% of the total student beneficiaries were girls this year
· More than 15,000+ books were issued to the students at Vidya Poshak libraries and youth centers.
· 8558 students utilized the library facilities through our 6 library centers.
·Under skill training program, library/youth centers have organized sessions on topics such as 1. Career guidance , 2. Study skills, 3. Avenues for Success.
· During the year, under Skill Development program 528 students were trained unde residential bridge camps.
Training for IIT entrance Test: Vidya Poshak & Avanti Fellows Joined hands to Provide Free IIT entrance Training for meritorious, low-income Students. Overall 51 students are being trained focusing on JEE Exams. Everyday classes are conducted for 3 hours at VP office, Dharwad.
On the basis of our internal assessment, we are hoping that 4 out of the 29 students from the Ist batch will succeed in getting into one of the IITs. 10 students will clear JEE Main and may get into other prestigious engineering colleges. The rest of the batch who are concentrating on the state level CET exam, are expected to get top ranks and join professional colleges in the state.The IInd batch may do even better next year.
Skill Development Program is an innovative idea of training the degree students from rural colleges for 6 to 14 days to enable the students with skill sets to get the first job and make them ready to crack competitive exams. VP has conducted training for more than 200 students from 3 colleges this year.
Matching Grant Scheme: Under this program economically backward and meritorious students of an institution are financially supported jointly by the institution and Vidya Poshak (50: 50: Partnership) In addition, Vidya Poshak provides employment readiness training for the students selected under this scheme. 13 Degree Colleges have joined for this initiative to date.
· During the year totally 236 students were financially assisted with Sum of INR 14.29 Lakh to pursue their degree courses in partnership with college/institutions.
· This year three new colleges have joined hands with vidya poshak and agreed to implement MGS in their colleges.
Value Education & Supportive Classes: Vidya Poshak Training team in association with Tata Motors is providing Career Guidance, Life Skills, Value Education & Supportive Classes for Students of Class 8, 9 & 10 in 4 schools surrounding Tata Motors Plant in Dharwad district. This year we have trained 500 High School students under this scheme
Abdul Kalam Susandhi Fellowship Program
Abdul Kalam Susandhi Fellowship is a unique program, a small step to transform the lives of rural and poorer families by enabling their children to pursue a world class professional program in the hi-tech domain of VLSI/Embedded/Software. This creates an opportunity which is otherwise unavailable to them. The program is designed to nurture their inherent strengths while at the same time impart significant new skills, both technical and life skills, to enable them to confidently enter the Hi-Tech domain of VLSI/Embedded/Software.
Abdul Kalam Susandhi Fellowship is crafted as a “Earn while you Learn” program so that the parents and the families do not experience a financial burden. In fact Susandhi students start supporting their families very early in their career.
Achievements by vidya poshak beneficiaries :
· One of our beneficiary miss Kavya hedge cleared CA (Final examination) and has become a qualified Charted Accountant
· Dr. Mahantesh P Ganiger secured 12th Rank in all India MD/MS entrance exam and 4th In PG KCET exam this year.
·More than 61 Vidya Poshak Final year students were selected by reputed companies through Campus Recruitment.
·Totally 215 Vidya Poshak alumni members have contributed INR 8.28 lakh during this year for supporting the needy students
Reaching the milestone
· Vidya Poshak has won Spirit of humanity award 2016, for excellence in education.
· Vidya Poshak has won award in the “India For Good “Contest for its best website and profile page .
·Through various Vidya Poshak Training Programs more than 1,00,000 students have been trained on different skill training programs in last 11 Years